Friday, October 19, 2007

A Constant Mess

I would say one of the most exhausting aspects of having a toddler is dealing with the constant mess of the home. It only takes about one day for Harris to completely destroy it. I've learned to not bother picking it up while he's awake. He will just be right behind me recreating chaos. I don't think it's even about playing with the toys. He just loves to dump boxes, put boxes on his head, sits in them, and he never wants to put things back into them.

The most frustrating room is the den. He loves to pull the books off of the bookcase and to play with the computer and its wires. There has been a few occasions where I'm searching online and realize that I've lost the internet connection because he pulled the power cord out of the modem. We finally decided to buy two more gates and have sealed off the den. There's just too many things for him to get into and we're tired of losing this battle.

With another baby on the way soon, I'm learning how to live with a certain amount of chaos. I'm sure the further I get with the pregnancy and when the baby actually arrives, straightening up the house with be a lower priority.

Below are some pictures of Harris's abilities:

Recall that this is only after one afternoons time! Yes, those are saucepans in the bottom left corner.


The books in the den.



The first evening with the new gate up. He seems to be dealing with it well.


The next morning when I want to check my email after breakfast.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're not kidding about a toddler! Tori loves to make a mess and I feel like we don't have a 'grown' up house anymore. There are toys in every room!

M Parrish

Kim said...

Love it! Life is too chaotic. My boys still cry at the gate, but i cannot let them destroy my whole home!