Brian and I were able to enjoy a little mini trip out of town on Friday evening while Harris stayed with his grandparents. We went to a club called The Basement in Columbus, OH. The concert consisted of the Kate Voegele, Cary Brothers, & Matt Nathanson performing. This was the first time in two years that Brian and I have gotten away out of town by ourselves since Little Baby was born. We enjoyed a free night at the Holiday Inn Express in Marysville which is about a half hour outside of Columbus. We finally used up the last of the Holiday Inn points that Brian had accumulated while spending almost 3 months working in England for ITT several years ago.
The Basement is a very small little bar in the arena district of downtown Columbus. The stage is sunken into the floor and there's two huge load bearing poles which make it very difficult to see anything. I think Brian and I were the oldest people there that evening as the crowd was composed of college kids. I forgot in Ohio that you only have to be 18 to get into a club but 21 to drink.
I was worried slightly about the idea of being in a smoky bar all evening since I'm pregnant. Turns out that there was no smoking there at all. It seemed to make the evening so much nicer for me. I'm not sure I agree with the principals behind the laws, but I definitely enjoy the benefits of it.
The first two acts consisting of Kate Voegele and then the Cary Brothers. They performed fine but seemed to lack a lot of energy. I still love the song Blue Eyes by the Cary Brothers, so I enjoyed that (see the myspace link to listen). I think Brian was starting to worry about choosing to come all that way to Columbus at a little venue to see a disappointing show, but then Matt Nathanson came out and the whole mood and energy of the place changed. Matt was very good live and the crowd (small and intimate) was really into the show. Brian had a great time and I enjoyed myself as well.
All in all it was a great trip. Thanks Max and Cathy (aka Grandpa & Grandma) for taking Harris for us!
Saturday, September 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment