Friday, February 08, 2008

Updates

Yesterday I went to the doctor and found out that the baby has not turned one bit. It’s still a frank breech (its feet are up by its face). It’s now at 37 weeks and the baby is getting big. The u/s showed folds of fat around the wrist which is so cute. I’m not really confident that this baby is going to turn anytime soon either. I have an appointment scheduled for next week which will be at the 38 week mark. At that time, the position will be rechecked and most likely a c-section will be scheduled for the following week. Wow, this baby will be here before we know it!

We’ve been trying to prepare ourselves for a c-section birth. I always skipped those chapters in the books because I just assumed things would go as well as when I had Harris. This baby has been stubborn from the get-go though. It must take after Brian already :) Perhaps we’re fortunate in the sense that we can even prepare for a c-section birth when most couples find themselves there at the last minute.

Besides being breech the baby looks very healthy which we are thankful. With all the u/s I’ve seen the baby performing fetal breathing every time (signs of good health). There’s always lots of movement, mostly just wiggling now but definitely activity. It’s fun in the evenings to sit and watch the movements protrude from my belly. I’ve even gotten Brian to see them sitting across the room which impressed him.

I should give an update on Harris as well. Harris this week had the best session with his speech therapist that he has had since he started in November. It was definitely a Red Letter day for him and I was so excited to tell Brian about it when he got home. Harris said and signed the most words I’ve seen yet (more, please, book, cookie, ball, etc), pointed to pictures of specific objects in a book when asked (ie - Where's the duck?), and completely cooperated with Peggy. I’m so glad it went well because the previous two weeks were bad. During those sessions, he fussed, was cranky, and just babbled without words. Every time she took his hands to help make the signs, he pulled away ticked off and cried. Ah, I hope those were just flukes and that those days are behind us. I was just so proud of him on Tuesday, I felt like I was beaming all day long. Way to go Harris!

Our family has finally joined the real world this week as we now have some form of pay TV. We had Verizon come out and install Fios for us. We have the internet, TV, and phone through them. Previously we had Comcast internet and their limited basic TV (CBS, PBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, CW, WGN, & CMT - That's it! No ESPN, Discovery, TBS, etc). We only had the limited basic because it made the internet cheaper - go figure. Other than that, we have not had all these channels for over 5 years which was when we had direct TV at the other house. It's a bit overwelhming to me to see all the channels that are out there. I don't even know where to begin! Brian is very excited about the Food Network and hopes to learn a few things. I thought it was cool when I found On Demand kids shows like Thomas the Train for Harris. Previously we only got to watch Thomas on Sunday mornings at 8:30 on PBS.

If anyone has a favorite TV show that I should watch, please feel free to comment and let me know. We even have a DVR to record so now I can watch anything! Wahoo!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like this baby is completely different than Harris! Maybe you're having a girl.

I don't know if you have this channel but we watch Noggin sometimes. I believe it's directed towards toddlers/preschoolers.

M Parrish