Saturday, February 16, 2008

Version

Thursday I arrived at the doctor's office for my usual weekly appointment. I thought I was going to schedule a c-section for early next week at the appointment, but that didn't happen. When I arrived they asked if I had eaten or drank anything that morning which I had. My appointment wasn't until 10:30 - there's no way I'd miss breakfast by that point. When I inquired why they were asking, the nurse mentioned that the doctor was thinking of sending me over to the hospital that day. My heart started racing. Could they possibly be thinking of performing a c-section that day?! I was so not ready for that. Brian had been sick that week with the flu and was just starting to get better. However that morning Harris awake with a fever and was not doing well at all. My in-laws who are always watching Harris for us were sick as well. The timing for having this baby could not be worse.

Anyways I had a quick scan of the baby first to see if its position had changed. No luck there - definitely still breech. Finally about an hour after my arrival and the news that I could possibly be going to the hospital that day, the doctor comes into the room to talk with me. It turned out that the hospital trip was not for a c-section, but to perform a version (a procedure done to try to turn the baby). It's done at the hospital in case there are any complications (placenta abruption, fetal distress, etc) and an emergency c-section can be performed. Dr. Einhaus had recruited another doctor (Dr. Schwartz - very nice ob/gyn btw) to try to turn the baby. Dr. Einhaus was there but she thought he would have better strength in his hands to perform the procedure. Apparently versions are not performed that often anymore since c-sections are so safe now a days. However my doctor thought that since I'd had a good normal delivery with Harris, that it was worth a shot to try. I agreed whole-heartedly and wanted to give it a try - anything to avoid a surgery.

Since I had eaten that morning, the version was scheduled for the next day (Friday) at 11am. Brian came with me and we arrived at the hospital at 10:45. By noon I had been placed in a triage room in the birthing center, was gowned up, had filled out all the admissions paperwork & questions, and had blood drawn and an IV started. I was given a shot of breathene (a drug to relax the uterus and stop contractions) and the doctors rolled in. A quick scan was done to determine the position and placement of the baby. Dr. Schwartz using his hands on my belly covered in gel tried pushing the baby up out of my pelvis and turning it over head first. It was painful but I was able to breathe through it somewhat successfully. Then my doctor started to join in from a more "internal" direction (yeap - you're probably thinking correctly) and I found myself yelling and crying. I never knew I was capable of yelling out, but there I was. Dr. Schwartz said either the baby would turn easily or it wouldn't go at all. After their attempts to turn it, he performed another scan and said it looked like it moved 3cm. It just wasn't going to happen. I was very disappointed. However, I felt that a very good effort was performed. The whole thing lasted probably less than 5 minutes, but I was drained by the end of it.

I was placed on a fetal monitor for about 2 hours afterwards. The baby and contractions were monitored to make sure everything was ok. The baby seemed fine and was active. Plus I didn't have any contractions which was good. After that I was discharged and sent home. I'm still really sore today and see some mild bruising on my abdomen. I had to stop Harris from crawling on my lap last night because his boney knees kept finding all the tender spots.

I have a c-section schedule for Tuesday morning at 8am. It looks like our little one's birthday will be 2-19-08. I'll keep everyone updated as best I can (I'm sure most of the people reading this will get phone calls from Brian) and hope to have pictures up sometime next week.

Thanks to everyone who has been emailing and leaving comments for me. Everyone has been so thoughtful and concerned for us, it makes everything easier to deal with. Thanks for all the love and support.

No comments: